10 Things to do in Grand Country
10.Climb a rock. If you enjoy mountaineering and rock climbing, you’ll find yourself in heaven among the jagged peaks found throughout Grand County on national forest land and in Rocky Mountain National Park. Visit Rocky Mountain National Park’s website for more information on climbing and mountaineering there.
9.Ride a horse. Take a trail ride for just an hour or go for the whole day. There are a number of stables that offer horse rentals for all levels and ages. Or fully immerse yourself into the ranching experience at one of Grand Count’y family-friendly dude or guest ranches, such as C Lazy U Ranch north of Granby, or Drowsy Water Ranch for a vacation you’ll never forget.
8. See a moose. Actually, you’ll probably see several, along with deer, elk, coyotes and all kinds of other wildlife that are abundant in our forests and in Rocky Mountain National Park. You can even stay among them at the YMCA of the Rockies – Snow Mountain Ranch. Just remember that no matter how peaceful they look, they are still wild animals and you need to keep a good distance between them and the spot where you’re standing.
7. Go for a bike ride. With more than 600 miles of marked, mapped, and user-friendly mountain bike trails ranging from gentle to steep in Winter Park alone, Grand County is a mecca for the cycling enthusiast and for the whole family. For riders who prefer to hit the road, paved highways spoke out in all directions to provide you with the just the ride you’re looking for. Bring your own bike or rent from a number of shops in the area. The Winter Park and Fraser Valley Chamber of Commerce is a great resource for locations and ideas for rides.
6. Cast a line. Grand County offers 1,000 miles of streams and rivers, 1,000 acres of mountain lakes, and 15,000 acres of reservoirs for fishing, especially for rainbow, brook, German brown, and cutthroat trout. If you’re a beginner or are looking for some guidance, at Rocky Mountain Adventures you can reserve equipment, schedule instruction, and hire a guide who would love to help you catch “the big one”.
5. Hit the links. Four world-class golf courses offer 9 and 18 holes of play in spectacular settings with a variety of amenities depending on the course. You’ll find one in Grand Lake, two in Granby, and the fourth in Winter Park.Visit Golf Grand County for more information on these courses. For a family twist on the game, try playing the disc golf course outside Grand Lake at the Winding River Resort.
4. Ride the alpine slide. Take a summertime ride down the mountain on Colorado’s longest alpine slide at the Winter Park Resort. An 11-minute chairlift ride takes you up, then you’ll fly down on a plastic alpine slide equipped with rollers and brakes. Visit the Ski Winter Park for more information on the slide and other fun summer activities.
3. Play on the water. Whether you like the speed of a power boat or Jet Ski or prefer the tranquility of a wind-powered sailboat or human-powered canoe, the lakes and reservoirs of Grand County offer opportunities for each of these at Lake Granby, Shadow Mountain Lake, Grand Lake, and Williams Fork Reservoir. Bring your own craft or rent one here. The Grand Lake Chamber of Commerce offers lots of information on the marina, boat rentals, and more.
2. Take a hike. Trails at all levels of difficulty abound in Grand County. If your family is looking for a leisurely walk to view fields of wildflowers or if you prefer to head into the backcounty for an overnight or two, you’ll find the hike that’s just right for you. You can get some ideas in the Winter Park Guest Guide.
1. Go whitewater rafting with Mad Adventures! Family-friendly trips on the Upper Colorado River accommodate children as young as four for a half-day or full-day. If you have children 6 or older the two or three day overnights will definitely be something to write home about. Learn more about our Upper Colorado River Rafting adventure or our other whitewater rafting trips for the full spectrum of rafting adventures with MAD Adventures.
And those are just our 10 favorites. We’d love to provide you with more, but after thinking of all those great adventures, we have to get outside and play. See you there!
Thanks to www.grand-county.com for the inspiration for this article. Visit their website for more information on things to do while you’re on vacation in Grand County.